The funnel-shaped fries are a fairground classic that can be enjoyed year-round. They are described as crispy on the outside and spongy on the inside. This recipe transforms the traditional funnel cake into the ideal dish to warm you up on a chilly winter day by adding fresh strawberries as a delectable variation. Any sweet eater will be satisfied by the mix of warm, crunchy bread with sweet, luscious strawberries. Continue reading this Cakepluss article to learn how to make strawberry funnel cake fries!
What is Funnel Cake?
A common fried dish that can be found at fairs, carnivals, and amusement parks is funnel cake. It is made by pouring a thin batter of flour, sugar, eggs, milk, and baking powder through a funnel into hot oil, creating a spiraled web-like pattern. The cake is then deep-fried until golden brown and crispy. Once cooked, it is usually dusted with powdered sugar and served hot.
Funnel cake is believed to have originated in the United States in the mid-1800s, and has since become a beloved treat at various events and gatherings. It is a simple yet satisfying dessert that is perfect for sharing with friends and family. Funnel cakes can also be topped with a variety of toppings such as whipped cream, fruit, or chocolate sauce, making them a versatile dessert that can be customized to your liking.
Step-by-step instructions for making strawberry funnel cake fries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- vegetable oil, or canola oil
- caramel sauce
- marshmallow fluff
- Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, milk and vanilla together until frothy.
Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring until a smooth dough forms, making sure there are no lumps.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or large pot over medium heat. Oil should be about 350 degrees F. Place a plate or wire rack that has been covered in paper towels.
- Using a funnel or pastry bag with a small tip, pour the dough into the hot oil, forming long, thin strips. Fry the funnel cakes for about 2-3 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the fritters from the oil and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- When the funnel cakes have cooled a bit, sprinkle powdered sugar over them.
- In a small saucepan, cook the diced strawberries over medium heat until they are soft and succulent. Then coat the strawberry mixture over the freshly fried funnel cake.
Like the classic, these dessert fries are the finest when they are freshly made. You should make the dough a day in advance and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to make it. With leftovers, you should store them in an airtight container for up to five days or in the freezer for up to three months. When taking out to use, place the fries on a baking tray and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes until evenly heated.
Tips for presentation and making them look appetizing
When it comes to presentation, there are a few simple tips to help make your strawberry funnel cake fries look as appetizing as possible:
– Use a decorative serving dish: Choose a colorful and eye-catching serving dish to make your dessert stand out. A bright red or pink dish can complement the strawberry flavor and make your fries look more appetizing.
– Dust with powdered sugar: Sprinkle some powdered sugar over your strawberry funnel cake fries before serving to give them a finishing touch. This will also help to cover up any imperfections and make them look more professional.
– Add a pop of color: Consider adding some fresh strawberries or a drizzle of strawberry sauce over your funnel cake fries for a pop of color and added flavor.
– Serve with a dipping sauce: Offer a side of whipped cream or cream cheese frosting for dipping to make your strawberry funnel cake fries more appealing and tasty.
The ideal winter treat is this recipe for strawberry funnel cake fries. The warm fried dough pairs perfectly with the sweet, succulent strawberries, creating a delicious combination that is sure to please any sweet tooth. The recipe is simple to follow and adaptable to your preferences. You can experiment with different fruits to give your funnel fries a different flavor. Give this dish a try the next time you’re searching for a sweet treat to warm you up on a chilly winter day.