The world has been swept up by the drip cake decorating trend. A black and gold drip cake as the name implies; is a cake decorated with black buttercream with gold drops on it. The cake itself is moist and creamy, made with chocolate sponge and chocolate buttercream. Drip cake may seem difficult at first, but once you break it down into steps, there’s nothing to fear. Follow the detailed cake-making steps that Cakepluss instructs in this article.
Brief History of Drip Cakes
Drip cakes have been a popular trend in the cake-decorating world in recent years. The drip cake trend originated from the “dripping” effect created by pouring ganache or other liquid icing over the top of a cake, which would drip down the sides of the cake. This trend is thought to have been inspired by the popular cake designs of Katherine Sabbath, an Australian cake designer known for her bright and colorful drip cakes.
While drip cakes have become a popular trend in recent years, the idea of dripping icing over cakes has been around for much longer. The French pastry technique called “ganache” involves pouring a warm cream and chocolate mixture over a cake or pastry to create a smooth and shiny glaze. This technique has been used for many years in patisseries and bakeries around the world. Over time, the technique has evolved to incorporate different types of icings and drips, such as caramel, butterscotch, and even fruit glazes.
Importance of Black and Gold Drip Cake
Black and gold drip cake is a popular and stylish cake design that is often used for special occasions such as weddings, birthdays, and anniversaries. The combination of black and gold creates a luxurious and elegant look that is perfect for formal events or celebrations. The black and gold drip cake is not only visually appealing but it also offers a delicious flavor. The combination of rich chocolate and creamy buttercream frosting creates a delectable taste that is sure to please any palate.
How To Make Golden Drip
Gold drip can be done in three ways. They are all very easy to make and to create decorative drops all you need is a little creativity. Most people use spoons or plastic bottles. Regardless of which approach makes you feel most at ease, apply it!
The first way is to drizzle some white chocolate on your cake and then color the chocolate with a paintbrush dipped in golden polish dissolved in vanilla extract. The second method is just to combine the golden luster with vanilla extract, lemon extract or lime juice. This will give the original golden color and the way to apply it is just to let it drip down the spatula on the edges of your cake. Finally, you can pour the mixed color into a plastic spray bottle and spray it on the cake. I like to use a spray bottle because it’s much faster than using a spoon and also easier.
Easy Black And Gold Drip Cake Recipe
For the sponge cake:
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp espresso granules
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup + 1 tbsp hot water
For the buttercream:
- 1 ½ cup + 2 tbsp softened butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 5 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Black food color, gel or powder
For the drip:
- 1 ¼ tbsp lemon juice or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp golden luster dust
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Use parchment paper to line the bottom of the baking pan. Combine the dry ingredients in a sizable mixing bowl. Eggs, oil, vanilla, buttermilk, and hot water are among the liquid ingredients. Stir until a smooth dough forms.
- Divide dough between cake pans. Bake the sponge cake for 22-25 minutes. Cool the muffin pan for 10 minutes before removing the cake from the mold.
- Now proceed to make the buttercream. Beat butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, heavy cream, and cocoa powder together in a bowl. On the top of the first layer of sponge cake, spread some buttercream. Spread the buttercream on top of the second layer of sponge cake before adding it. Top the buttercream with the third layer of sponge cake.
- Discard 1/3 of the buttercream and combine it with the desired color, gel or cocoa powder. A quarter cup of dark cocoa is required. For 20 seconds, microwave the buttercream. The buttercream should be thoroughly mixed with the cocoa powder or black food coloring before being added. After combining the colored buttercream with the chocolate buttercream, chill it for ten minutes. Add some dark buttercream to the cake’s edges and top. Using a spatula or other cake-decorating instrument, smooth the cake’s outside.
- Combine the lime juice or vanilla extract with the golden shine in a basin. Pour some of the golden combinations over the cake’s edges in the form of drops that cascade down the cake by using a spoon and some of the golden concoctions.
- The cake should be chilled for an hour before cutting and serving.
In conclusion, the black and gold drip cake is a stunning and elegant dessert option that is perfect for any special occasion. Its luxurious appearance is sure to leave a lasting impression on guests, and its delicious taste is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. Whether you’re celebrating a birthday, wedding, or any other milestone, this cake is a great choice to elevate your dessert table and add a touch of sophistication to your event.