This Giraffe Cake is simply too adorable, you guys. And guess what? Making it is simple! The decorations are made out of candy, my friend. Yes, sweets! This cake is ideal for a celebration with a zoo theme! Cake mix, icing, tootsie rolls, and starburst. You’ll need those ingredients to make this adorable Giraffe Cake. Continue to learn how to make Giraffe Cake in 7 steps with Cakepluss.com.
Ingredients and equipment are required.
- 3 cups of colored vanilla frosting To make it the same color as the yellow starbursts, dye it yellow.
- You have 1.5 cups of leftover chocolate frosting after icing and crumb-coating your cake. My go-to recipe for homemade chocolate frosting.
- 30 Tootsie Rolls
- Eight pink Starbursts
- 16 Starbursts in yellow
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (plus the necessary ingredients)
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix, together with the necessary ingredients
- Use powdered sugar as necessary.
- Templates for the ears, eyelashes, and nose are printable.
- Circular 8-inch cake pans
- Angled spatula
How to Make the Giraffe Cake in 7 Steps?
Step 1: How to make the patterned cake?
- In separate bowls, combine the two cake mixes as directed on the package.
- Grease two (8-inch round cake pans, or four, if you have them).
- Fill the center of the pan with one cup of yellow cake batter.
- On top of the yellow batter, pour one cup of the chocolate batter into the center of the pan. To create rings, the yellow batter should spread just a little bit.
- Continue until the batter has filled the pan halfway.
- Apply the same procedure to each additional pan.
- The cakes are baked in the oven, allowed to cool just a bit, then turned out of the pan and allowed to cool entirely.
- Start decorating the cakes once they have totally cooled.
- Apply a layer of chocolate frosting to the cake board and place one of the Giraffe Cake layers there. For each layer, repeat.
- As a crumb coat, spread a thin layer of yellow frosting over the entire Giraffe Cake.
- After crumb coating, place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow frosting to harden.
Step 2: How to create the ears?
- Warm-up 8 yellow Starbursts to make them more manageable. The candies should be microwaved in 5-second intervals until they are easy to mold and not too hot to the touch. Place the unwrapped candies in a microwave-safe bowl.
- To make one candy, combine the eight yellow Starbursts.
- Add some powdered sugar to the counter. Spread the inch-thick yellow Starbursts that have been made. It shouldn’t be overly thin. You can add a little powdered sugar to it if it’s sticky.
- With all of the pink Starbursts, repeat steps 1-3.
- Cut out the ears’ shape according to the corresponding color on the stencil using the stencil. If you decide against using the stencil, cut out the yellow ear first while gauging the shape of the ears with your eyes.
- The pink ear should be cut down an inch from the yellow ear.
- Place the pink piece on top of the yellow piece after lightly moistening the back with water. The pink portion will be held in place by the water acting as a glue.
- Brush some water up about an inch from the bottom of the ears.
- The bottom corners are then folded in and secured with a pinch. This creates a 3D effect in the ears.
Step 3: How to create the horns on Giraffe Cake?
- Similar to how you warmed up the starbursts in step 1, warm up 8 Tootsie Rolls. Cut one candy in half after shaping it with your hands. One horn will be in each half.
- To the size and shape of the pattern, roll out each half like a snake.
Step 4: How to create the snout?
- Heat the remaining 10 tootsie rolls and 8 yellow starbursts as directed in step 1. To create a lighter shade of brown, combine them.
- Roll out to a thickness of one inch. Cut the oval form out.
- After reheating the remaining 10 tootsie rolls from Step 1, apply a little black food coloring.
- Mix the food coloring completely together. To 1/8 inch thickness, roll out. Save the remaining rolled-out tootsie roll for step 11 and then cut out the two circles.
- To create the nose, add some water to the back of the black pieces and set them in the top middle of the oval.
Step 5: How to make eyelashes?
- The black Tootsie Roll candies that you saved from Step 10 should be combined once again and split in half.
- Cut off each piece after rolling it to the length of the eyelash stencil. To create eyelashes, make two cuts at the end, then squeeze the ends to make them sharp. Repeat the process for the opposite eye.
Step 6: How to create the giraffe print?
- Around the Giraffe Cake, spread your yellow frosting, and then use a flat surface, such as a spatula, to smooth it out.
- By placing the frosting in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and then using paper towels to level the surface, you may further smooth out the icing. To do this, spread a paper towel over the frosting and smooth it out with your hand over the paper towel.
- The brown icing should be piped on to create the giraffe’s spots. Placements near the face should be avoided.
- Spread the icing out. To remove the spots, use the same paper towel method.
Step 7: Finish the decorating Giraffe Cake
- Where you didn’t put spots on the cake’s front bottom, add the nose.
- Position the eyes over the mouth. Verify if the distant sides of the face—the left and the right—have eyelashes.
- On top of the Giraffe Cake, place the horns and the ears. They must be pushed into the cake.